Atlanta, GA -- July 8, 2002 -- Her body was found nude and partially burned July 2 morning in a dry creek bed near Lake Allatoona.

But what and who killed Cherokee County 15-year-old Katie Hamlin remain a mystery.

"We're working to determine the cause of death," said Cherokee County coroner Earl Darby on Sunday. "I can't say anything more. It's an active investigation."

Nichole Ebbeskotte a spokeswoman for the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department, said investigators are treating the death as a homicide.

Investigators are awaiting the results of more autopsy tests from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Katie's mother, Donna Rice Hamlin, said she last saw her daughter alive about 11:30 p.m. July 1, when she went outside "to have a smoke or talk on her cell phone."

Hamlin said she believes her daughter may have called a friend to pick her up or struck up a conversation with somebody passing by.

She said she did not notice Katie was missing until the next morning when she wasn't in her room. Katie sometimes spent the night at friends, but she always called by the next morning, relatives said.

Hamlin said she heard news reports on Wednesday, but "I had no idea it was my daughter they had found."

She said she called the police but declined to say when.

Katie's body, naked and burned on the head and torso, was found by a passerby in a creek bed near Woodstock Road. Police identified her through her dental records.

"I don't know who in their right mind would have done this to my daughter," Hamlin said. "They took away her life away from her. She was a very beautiful person. I can't come to terms that she is gone."

July 9, 2002 -- Someone knows what happened to Katie Hamlin.

It might be someone she went to school with. It might be someone who saw her the night of July 1. And it's possible that someone clutching a damp tissue at her funeral Monday morning might know something that could help investigators crack the mysterious case.

"Katie was a victim," the Rev. Mike Faulkner told mourners at Mayes Ward-Dobbins Funeral Home in Marietta.

Whoever is responsible for the 15-year-old's death last week will face certain justice in the hereafter, if not on earth, he said. He urged mourners to contact authorities with anything that could help solve the terrible puzzle.

Katie's naked body was discovered July 2 in Cherokee County, where authorities continue their investigation. They're treating the death as a homicide and are awaiting test results that could tell them more about how Katie died.

According to a sheriff's department report, Donna Hamlin told authorities she last saw her daughter about 8:30 p.m. July 1. She called authorities on July 3 and said it was not uncommon for Katie to spend the night with friends, but she had never been gone this long before. Sheriff's deputies also interviewed the father of a friend of Katie's, who said Katie came to their house about 11 p.m. July 1. He said his wife took Katie back home on Dogwood Lane and watched her go inside the house.

The friend, who was not fully identified in the report, said Katie was wearing a cream-colored shirt and denim skirt that night. Donna Hamlin found those clothes in Katie's room, according to the report.

Neighbors on the cul-de-sac where Katie lived remembered a happy, pleasant and attractive young lady.

"She always liked to have something in her hair," said next-door neighbor Sharon Hart. "She used to come over and say, 'Do you have any bows you don't want anymore?' and I'd take her back and let her pick what she wanted from my drawer."

She said Katie was "a free spirit" who will be deeply missed by many friends as well as by her family.

"She had tons of friends," said Martha Grogan.

"They were always in and out of her house. . . . It's a tragic thing. It really breaks my heart."

Neighbors were reluctant to speculate about what might have happened to the teenager. The long cul-de-sac street is too quiet and secluded for anyone to have just been passing by and seen her by chance, Hart said. Grogan said she had not noticed anything out of the ordinary in the way of traffic in recent weeks.

At the funeral, Faulkner directed part of his sermon at the many teenagers who came to say goodbye to their friend. He told them God wants what is best for them, and that obeying their parents and avoiding drugs, alcohol and unsavory characters are the path to God's future for them.

Faulkner then directed his comments to Katie's grieving family, telling them to lean on their faith as birthdays and holidays become painful reminders of the girl who will be forever 15.

"Nothing I say can ease your pain," he told them.

Katie's brother, Jason Hamlin, 20, shared memories of his sister. His voice choked with sorrow, Jason Hamlin said they may have fussed, like any brother and sister, but they were very close.

"I believe Katie was an angel," he said.

Afterward, friends and relatives recalled a teen who loved her family, the mall and the telephone and delighted in spending time with children and the elderly.

"She was like my adopted daughter," said JoAnne Stevenson. Her daughter Ashley, 15, will be a sophomore at Etowah High School in Woodstock this fall and had been friends with Katie since first grade.

It's chilling, JoAnne Steveson said, "knowing someone could do something like this to such a beautiful person."

July 18, 2002 -- As they follow the case and await updates, the people who loved Katie Hamlin cherish their memories of her.

"She was always smiling, always happy," said Stephanie Lucero, a family friend. "She loved to be around people."

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Department arrested Jamerson Douglas Mangrum, 17, last week and charged him with a number of crimes, including statutory rape. He was not charged with homicide, Sherriff Roger Garrison said, but the investigation continues into the 15-year-old's death.

Katie's body was discovered in a dry creek bed near Lake Allatoona on July 2, the morning after she was reported missing from her Dogwood Lane home.

The Rev. Mike Faulker, who officiated at Katie's funeral, said whoever is responsible for her death will face certain justice in the hereafter, if not on earth. He urged anyone with information that could help authorities to come forward. He also read from Psalms 89:14, "Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face."

Katie's friends are hoping for justice.

Jessie Johnson, 15, said Katie was one of the first people she met when she moved to Cherokee County from Dalton four years ago.

"We kind of clicked," Jessie said. The girls went shopping and swimming together often and attended church together a few times.

Aubrey Bascom, 15, remembered her ninth birthday party, where Katie shared in the festivities.

"We braided our hair in tiny braids and put beads in them," Aubrey said.

Michael Popp, 17, remembered horsing around with Katie in the pool.

"She dunked me," Michael said. "She was funny to be around. She was always there for me when I needed her."

Neighbors in the cul-de-sac where Katie lived were stunned at the news of her death.

Elizabeth Watts described Katie as a beautiful girl who did many of the typical teenage girl things, including baby sitting and selling candy and other things for her school. Martha and Calvin Grogan knew Katie through their son, who was a few years older than the girl, but close enough for her to be well known to the Grogans.

"She was a fine young lady," said Calvin Grogan. "She wanted to enjoy life, and Atlanta, GA -- July 8, 2002 -- Her body was found nude and partially burned July 2 morning in a dry creek bed near Lake Allatoona.

But what and who killed Cherokee County 15-year-old Katie Hamlin remain a mystery.

"We're working to determine the cause of death," said Cherokee County coroner Earl Darby on Sunday. "I can't say anything more. It's an active investigation."

Nichole Ebbeskotte a spokeswoman for the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department, said investigators are treating the death as a homicide.

Investigators are awaiting the results of more autopsy tests from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Katie's mother, Donna Rice Hamlin, said she last saw her daughter alive about 11:30 p.m. July 1, when she went outside "to have a smoke or talk on her cell phone."

Hamlin said she believes her daughter may have called a friend to pick her up or struck up a conversation with somebody passing by.

She said she did not notice Katie was missing until the next morning when she wasn't in her room. Katie sometimes spent the night at friends, but she always called by the next morning, relatives said.

Hamlin said she heard news reports on Wednesday, but "I had no idea it was my daughter they had found."

Katie's body, naked and burned on the head and torso, was found by a passerby in a creek bed near Woodstock Road. Police identified her through her dental records.

"I don't know who in their right mind would have done this to my daughter," Hamlin said. "They took away her life away from her. She was a very beautiful person. I can't come to terms that she is gone."

It might be someone she went to school with. It might be someone who saw her the night of July 1. And it's possible that someone clutching a damp tissue at her funeral Monday morning might know something that could help investigators crack the mysterious case.

"Katie was a victim," the Rev. Mike Faulkner told mourners at Mayes Ward-Dobbins Funeral Home in Marietta.

Whoever is responsible for the 15-year-old's death last week will face certain justice in the hereafter, if not on earth, he said. He urged mourners to contact authorities with anything that could help solve the terrible puzzle.

Katie's naked body was discovered July 2 in Cherokee County, where authorities continue their investigation. They're treating the death as a homicide and are awaiting test results that could tell them more about how Katie died.

According to a sheriff's department report, Donna Hamlin told authorities she last saw her daughter about 8:30 p.m. July 1. She called authorities on July 3 and said it was not uncommon for Katie to spend the night with friends, but she had never been gone this long before. Sheriff's deputies also interviewed the father of a friend of Katie's, who said Katie came to their house about 11 p.m. July 1. He said his wife took Katie back home on Dogwood Lane and watched her go inside the house.

The friend, who was not fully identified in the report, said Katie was wearing a cream-colored shirt and denim skirt that night. Donna Hamlin found those clothes in Katie's room, according to the report.

Neighbors on the cul-de-sac where Katie lived remembered a happy, pleasant and attractive young lady.

"She always liked to have something in her hair," said next-door neighbor Sharon Hart. "She used to come over and say, 'Do you have any bows you don't want anymore?' and I'd take her back and let her pick what she wanted from my drawer."

She said Katie was "a free spirit" who will be deeply missed by many friends as well as by her family.

"They were always in and out of her house. . . . It's a tragic thing. It really breaks my heart."

Neighbors were reluctant to speculate about what might have happened to the teenager. The long cul-de-sac street is too quiet and secluded for anyone to have just been passing by and seen her by chance, Hart said. Grogan said she had not noticed anything out of the ordinary in the way of traffic in recent weeks.

At the funeral, Faulkner directed part of his sermon at the many teenagers who came to say goodbye to their friend. He told them God wants what is best for them, and that obeying their parents and avoiding drugs, alcohol and unsavory characters are the path to God's future for them.

Faulkner then directed his comments to Katie's grieving family, telling them to lean on their faith as birthdays and holidays become painful reminders of the girl who will be forever 15.

Katie's brother, Jason Hamlin, 20, shared memories of his sister. His voice choked with sorrow, Jason Hamlin said they may have fussed, like any brother and sister, but they were very close.

Afterward, friends and relatives recalled a teen who loved her family, the mall and the telephone and delighted in spending time with children and the elderly.

"She was like my adopted daughter," said JoAnne Stevenson. Her daughter Ashley, 15, will be a sophomore at Etowah High School in Woodstock this fall and had been friends with Katie since first grade.

It's chilling, JoAnne Steveson said, "knowing someone could do something like this to such a beautiful person."

July 18, 2002 -- As they follow the case and await updates, the people who loved Katie Hamlin cherish their memories of her.

"She was always smiling, always happy," said Stephanie Lucero, a family friend. "She loved to be around people."

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Department arrested Jamerson Douglas Mangrum, 17, last week and charged him with a number of crimes, including statutory rape. He was not charged with homicide, Sherriff Roger Garrison said, but the investigation continues into the 15-year-old's death.

Katie's body was discovered in a dry creek bed near Lake Allatoona on July 2, the morning after she was reported missing from her Dogwood Lane home.

The Rev. Mike Faulker, who officiated at Katie's funeral, said whoever is responsible for her death will face certain justice in the hereafter, if not on earth. He urged anyone with information that could help authorities to come forward. He also read from Psalms 89:14, "Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face."

Jessie Johnson, 15, said Katie was one of the first people she met when she moved to Cherokee County from Dalton four years ago.

"We kind of clicked," Jessie said. The girls went shopping and swimming together often and attended church together a few times.

Aubrey Bascom, 15, remembered her ninth birthday party, where Katie shared in the festivities.

"She dunked me," Michael said. "She was funny to be around. She was always there for me when I needed her."

Neighbors in the cul-de-sac where Katie lived were stunned at the news of her death.

Elizabeth Watts described Katie as a beautiful girl who did many of the typical teenage girl things, including baby sitting and selling candy and other things for her school. Martha and Calvin Grogan knew Katie through their son, who was a few years older than the girl, but close enough for her to be well known to the Grogans.

"She was a fine young lady," said Calvin Grogan. "She wanted to enjoy life, and Atlanta, GA -- July 8, 2002 -- Her body was found nude and partially burned July 2 morning in a dry creek bed near Lake Allatoona.

"She was a fine young lady," said Calvin Grogan. "She wanted to enjoy life, and she did that, as fully as she could."

http://www.littlestangels1.net/Stories601.html